Sunday, January 22, 2012

How can I make my own oil paints?

I want to make my own oil paints...any help?

furthermore, can I use dried hibiscus flowers as a pigment?

Thanks! :D

How can I make my own oil paints?
Hi:



You should be able to make your own oil paints. You probably won't want to use a dried hibiscus flower as a paint, because the colors will probably fade or the organic material may not hold up well in a painting and may moulder - you could always do a sample to test it though. (On a weird side note - I've heard that sometimes the remains of a person from a cremation have been incorporated into a painting - I am not completely sure the method for that, but that seems to work, but the remains are probably completely removed of organic components.) There have historically been paint colors of "mummy" brown - that was actually from ground up mummies (yuck), and I think there was a yellow color that was derived from the cattle fed something to make their urine or feces a bright greeny-yellow.



Usually, to make oil paints involves dry powdered pigments and a grinding system. You can get more information about making oil paints at Sinopia Pigments. They have recipes and photos for various artist materials made out of more basic components, including oil paints.



Various art supply stores may have dry pigments from various manufacturers. I usually use pastels, and pastel artists can also make pastels from dry pigments, but with pastels the binder that is used is normally gum tragacanth or another gum type binding agents. I think watercolor paints usually have gum arabic as the binder.



Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.
Reply:Hi:



You are completely welcome - you might also check out the online artist community wetcanvas - it's free, and one of my favorite sites. Hope this helps, too. Report It

deodorizers

No comments:

Post a Comment